Saturday, April 16, 2011

Unscripted Sketches #102

It  is hard to believe it is Saturday again already. It has been a very busy week. Baseball season started and I was working on some projects. You mix in that it was high stakes testing week and internet issues it equals me not blogging in a week. Sorry girls, it will be better this week. Hope you enjoy this week's creation!







Well, I have a new love. It is called Yes Paste. It is wonderful. It used to be when I was doing an altered project I would use modge podge. I hate how it crinkles the paper though. I switched to Aleene’s Tacky Glue in the brush on bottle and watered it down a little. It was less crinkling, but still kind of messy. A wonderful friend on the Cricut Message Board mentioned Yes Paste and I thought I better try it. I tried several times, but M’s was out of it. When they finally got it in, I tried it to attach paper to a stretched canvas. It worked wonderfully, but you know me always trying to fix things that aren’t broke. I decided to try the modge podge again. I was very disappointed. The paper crinkled some. I was able to salvage it, but I definitely wasn’t as happy with the results.  Anyway….I learned from my mistakes and it is back to the Yes Paste for me.

I made this canvas using some Cosmo Cricket papers, but I really didn’t like the matte finish of the papers. This was for a little girl and even though the papers are in girly colors, I just wasn’t satisfied. I decided the paper needed some shimmer to it and I decided to try my hand at making some do it yourself glimmer glaze. I used a couple tiny spoons (like the size of the tasting spoons at Baskin Robins) of iridescent medium, a few drops of distress reinker, and water. I stirred it up really well and had this shimmery green liquid.
I used a brush and painted on all of the papers. Because I used only a few drops of the distress ink, the color was very sheer and not overbearing at all. I think this pic will show how shimmery the paper turned out. I loved the result, but didn’t think it was the same result you would get from real glimmer glaze. I was under the impression that glimmer glaze was thicker more like nail polish. I have since received a bottle as a gift and it is the same consistency. I am actually quite pleased with my glimmer glaze. 

The next technique I used was to redo this chipboard C. The C was in a pattern that wouldn’t match the canvas. I had seen a video where Tim Holtz did this to metal letters, so I thought why not chipboard. First I gave it a coat of white paint and let it dry. Next, I painted it again in white and then covered the wet paint with clear UTEE. I used the heat gun and melted the embossing powder.  I wanted a smoother thicker finish, so I pressed it into my embossing pad and covered it in UTEE again. When I melted it this time it was much smoother.

10 comments:

Crystal aka Caitlynsmommy said...

WOW! I knew a lot of work and love went into this but THANK YOU! C loves it! She has it in her room already and told me a Minnie Mouse and Me picture needed to go in it LOL!

Diana said...

That is so cute! Crystal, I bet a pic of Minnie Mouse and C would go GREAT in there!! LOL

Janice said...

Sounds like we are all going to have to check out YES PASTE now! (enabler!) This is so cute, and I love the shine you gave the 'C'!

chefkimmo said...

I am going through the trying of different pastes right now too! I used Modge Podge on what I made for Anne in the Leprachaun swap and it seemed to work but I have been nervous to try it again. It is good to read through your experiences so I know what to expect. I need to be on the lookout for YES Paste.

chefkimmo said...

Shoot, I meant to tell you I love that frame with the paper that looks like it is cross stitched!

Julie518 said...

Thanks for the inspiration! Yes Paste is now on the list of things I need to try - ENABLER! :)

Too many choices said...

Thank you for the Yes Paste idea. I will have to add that to my arsenol of craft supplies. Very Pretty layouts.

planlady19 said...

I agree yes paste is the best.. the layouts are really great.. I am sure your family love them..
Terri

Amy said...

I have bought some Modge Podge but haven't used it yet. Always looking for new adhesive ideas. Thanks for the enabling!!!!!

{PaperCrafterAnonymous} said...

THanks for all of the instructions.. Love the canvas, off to check out my M's to see if they have Yes Paste

Post a Comment