Thursday, July 5, 2012

Theme Thursday Snow Day

It is Theme Day Thursday at My Cricut Craft Room and the theme I am working with is Snow Day. We don't get much snow down here in Louisiana and or growing up in San Antonio, so I decided to go with a card. Most of you know I don't make cards like a normal person. I start out with an emotion or feeling and try to express it through my card front. I started looking through my Cricut cartridges and I really liked this building a snow woman silhouette. I started thinking about snow days and thinking about childhood and making mistakes. Especially when you aren't used to the snow.So here is what I came up with for your viewing pleasure.

I cut the silhouette at 3 1/4 inches from smooth black card stock. The card front is a a piece of pearlized white card stock. The background was created using my favorite products Tim Holtz Distress Inks. I started with the Stormy Sky distress ink pad. I wanted light coverage, so the pearl would still shine through, so I used a felt pad instead of a foam pad. Once I had the blue background it was a little too blue, so I added just a bit of Weathered Wood distress ink to give it that touch of steely grey in a winter sky. The swirls were stamped off the edge using the large swirl stamp in the Tim Holtz large stamps set Urban Chic. I know for me personally 29.99 sounds outrageous for a set of stamps, but that is the retail. I had to wait for a sale, but they are so worth it. I use this set all the time. If you can't afford them now, make a point to get them the next time Erica has a sale. There isn't a picture on Erica's site, but here is a pic of the stamps on this set.

I used the Stormy Sky ink to stamps the swirls and then outlined then in Waterfall Stickles. I was trying to create the feeling of the swirling snow. In between I added some stickles snowflakes in stardust stickles and they were also used to make the snow at the bottom of the page.

The skirt and scarf were colored in with liquid pearls. I was thinking of a child not used to snow bringing out their mother's silk or satin and ruining it. That is the type of thing I would have done. The skirt, mouth, and dots on the scarf are Liquid Pearls Flamingo. The scarf is Liquid Pearls Ocean Blue.


 Lots of fun great products here. Now if that wasn't enough, I have one more trick up my sleeve. I have a sneak peek for you. One of our new design team members was eager to get started and created a card for today. Since the big reveal of the new design team members isn't until Sunday, she can't post her card today. I thought you might enjoy a peek though of what lies in store.

Now head on over to My Cricut Craft Room and see what my design team sisters have in store for you.

3 comments:

Cathy said...

Gotta love the stickles and the liquid pearls:) You did a great job! $29.99 is not a bad price if you get a lot of use from the stamps, and it looks like a wonderful stamp for any ones collection:)
cathyplus5.blogspot.com

Ava Fernandez said...

Very cute Kathy. love the stickles, gives it such a nice sparkle. TFS
Ava DT Sister,MCCR

Heather Lynn said...

I agree with the other gals! Love the stickles! Great job, Kathy! That new dt member card looks caauute!

Post a Comment