Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Demon Lady

Okay, I messed up! Wednesday is Would You Ever Guess Wednesday over at My Cricut Craft Room. That means we don't use the main images on our carts. We just use the feature or create keys on our machines. Well, when I was working on my project for this week I didn't realize on was working on a Wednesday project. I had written down the theme "On Fire" and not that it was a Wednesday project. I went with the "On Fire" and completely forgot about the special feature keys. I hope you like this as much as I do. I love how this project came out.
 This picture was taken after my daughter's performance in Legally Blonde the Musical. We were all in the lobby after the show and in  this pic it looks like my niece has a crown of flames. It was actually a naughty plant. When I saw are theme of "On Fire", I knew I was going to do something with this picture.

Obviously I started with a 12x12 sheet of basic black card stock. I used red and cut a 5 1/2 x 7 1/2 mat for my 5x7 pic.
 I cut the title from basic white cardstock using the San Serif Solution Cartridge at 2 inches. If you look closely there are some raggedy edges on some of the cuts. Normally this would be a problem for me, but I wasn't at home and was using someone else's machine. I am not sure if it was the quality of the paper or a dull blade, but I decided it was okay since it was supposed to look like flames and flames wouldn't have precise edges. Make sure you always have an extra blade on hand so you don't end up with raggedy edges. You can find them in Erica's Craft Room store here.
 I cut the fire balls from the solution cartridge Indie Art and 3 1/2 inches. These were cut from white cardstock also and then set "on fire" with Tim Holtz Distress inks. I used Fired Brick and Spiced Marmalade. I started with the Fired Brick and a piece of felt on a blending handle. Most people use a foam pad with the distress inks. I used felt because the ink would have been more even and smooth with the foam. I wanted the scratchy look and variations like you would have in flames. I added the red and then came back over it with the orange.
 I did the same thing on the journaling. The white was just too stark so I inked it up.
 I also added a little ink around the edges of the photo mat to give it a little more depth.

 These shots let you see her crown better.
 This layout was a lot of fun to make. I hope you will take some time to play with distress inks and see what you come up with. Now head on over to My Cricut Craft Room to see what my design team sister have come up with for you to enjoy.
Happy Crafting!
KathyJo

5 comments:

Heather said...

great story love the naughty plant and your layout

scrapbookingforfun said...

Great layout!!! Love the flames!
MCCR DT Shelley
http://shelley-scrapbookingforfun.blogspot.com/

HeatherLynn said...

Hi Kathy Jo! You made a really cool layout! Love those fire balls! :)

Hugs,
Heather Lynn

Mary said...

Kathy Jo this is awesome. I thought her crown was part of the props, lol. Great job and I agree the felt gives the fire so much texture on this lay out. The jagged edges are also pretty cool. TFS, Mary M

lisacustomscrapbooking said...

wow love ur page. The colors are great. nicework

MCCR Dt, Lisa

Post a Comment