Monday, March 5, 2012

Monday Magic

Okay, I am going to try something new. I want to post something each Monday. I want to play with something I already have on hand and make a little crafty magic. I hope to do it ever Monday, but you never know with me. I decided to start with flowers. I have been suffering from cartridge envy recently. It seems like everywhere I turn someone is doing a project with the Art Philosophy cartridge and I don't have it. It bothered me for a while, but I decided this weekend that I need to pull out the cartridges I already own and make some magic.

I have the Mother's Day Bouquet Cartridge and don't use it nearly enough. I decided to pick one of the flowers on it and play a little. I picked the flower that is the third key on the top row. I cut it at 2 1/2, 2, 1 1/2, and 1 inches. I used a dry embossing tool to cup the center a little. Then I kind of rolled the petals back a bit to give it more dimension. Then I glued the layers together.
 You can see it is still pretty flat. Blah would be a good description. I looked over my counter and immediately saw stickles. I looked at teh colors for a few minutes and decided on Waterfall. I just added it along the edges of the petals and then made a center out of stickles.It makes the flower much more interesting.
 That made it nice and glittery, but the whole point of magic is to see how it changes things. I decided I needed to try another look. I grabbed a French Blue cats eye chalk pad and hit the edges of the petals before gluing them together. I love the depth it gave to the flower. I added some stickles just to the center.
You can see these are the same color paper, same cuts, same curling of the petals, but they look completely different. Here is a pic of all three side by side.
I couldn't stop there. I had to try it in a different color. Here is the same flower, but in yellow. I used Mustard seed distress ink and applied it direct pad to paper. I then glued it together and put a gem in the center. I love how it came out.
If you are like me, you have a ton of supplies sitting around not using them. Get them out and play with them. Things you already have sitting around can make a huge difference in your projects. I took one layer and lined it with several different colors of stickles. Think about how much that would change the look of the finished project.
So go play with some of the things you already have and make some crafty magic.
KathyJo

0 comments:

Post a Comment